Last year, I went out to document the refugee crisis to show the human being behind the refugee. I was deeply touched by the strength of these people that were going through such a hard time to flee the war and I tried to depict their hope through my series of images Smiles in Exile. They were viewed and shared thousands of times and reminded us that there was nothing to fear from other human beings and that they deserved better lives.
I am deeply convinced that it is crucial to show more than the dramatic pictures, people need to see the hope and resilience of others to feel closer to them. This is why I am going back to Greece where the situation is getting worse as the borders are closing and the deportation to Turkey has started.
Thousands of refugees are stranded in camps in Greece dreading to be sent in Turkey where the living conditions are terrible. I will document the lives in these camps and report on the situation and needs of the organizations working inside them as well as bringing back the stories and smiles of the refugees.
More than ever, it is important to be aware of the situation and at the same time, witness the humanity and resilience of these people. Fear of the unknown other is the worst border and I wish to break these down through the pictures of human eyes.
I am planning to go to Greece in less than three weeks but I need your support to reach my goals; documenting through pictures as well as gathering information of the situation in the camps. I already have the generous support from a contributor get me started with the plane ticket but I still need some more funds to be able to stay at least two weeks in Greece, to survive and to get to the different camps I want to document.
- Visit between 7 to 9 different camps; Idomeni, Cherso, Oynofita, Ritsona, Athens and more and get some information from the field
- Document the situation through more personal pictures and continue the series Smiles in Exile
- Collaborate with NGOs to provide them with pictures and show their work through Shoot to Help
- Raise awareness by capturing and sharing something different and hopeful
- 2 500$ CAD Budget
- 2150$ CAD financed, 350$ CAD to go!
- to cover: plane ticket, food, accommodation, transportation
- I already have: photo and travel gear, travel insurance, contacts, plan
- What if I don't raise enough money? I'll go anyway, THE PLANE TICKET IS ALREADY BOOKED!
Thanks to your support, a different point of view on the situation will be shown the eyes of the people and more information will be shared.
- 25$ donation will get you a postcard from Greece :)
- 50$ donation will get you a 8x12 print from the new Smiles in Exiles photo series
UPDATE: I HAVE BOOKED MY PLANE TICKET! IN GREECE MAY 19th!
Disclaimer: some of you may have noticed "Sponsored" post on Facebook and I wanted to make it clear that I am grateful to receive ad credit sponsorship from Facebook employees, I am not paying for advertisement, every dollar funded goes towards the expenses of the reportage!